Why is this issue so important now?
It’s the law. We are required to address bullying.
- It’s the right thing to do!
- There are potential long-term negative effects on those involved.
- There is potential negative impact on school climate.
- There is a connection between bullying and academic achievement.
In addition to state law, there are liability issues. Schools may be found liable if it can be shown that:
- The school environment has been altered for a targeted student(s).
- Any staff knew or should have known.
- There was a failure to act.
- There was deliberate indifference.