Can an experienced teacher from out-of-state, qualify for without enrolling in a program?

Posted by:

Unless an individual applying for certification from out-of-state holds a certificate from the National Board for Professional Teaching standards, the individual will need, a minimum, to complete a preassessment seminar.  During the seminar the college/university will evaluate the individual’s background and assess his/her knowledge and skills to determine whether or not the teacher’s course work and previous certification activities are equivalent to the approved Professional Certificate program and meet the Professional Certificate standards/criteria.  If equivalency is determined, the individual will apply for the Professional Certificate through the college/university.

If the individual’s previous experience and course work are not equivalent, the individual will need to proceed through the program.