- Federal Way Public Schools
Adjusted 2018-19 Calendar
Due to the loss of instructional time caused by the inclement weather in February, Federal Way Public Schools is adjusting the school calendar to meet the number of instructional hours required by the state.
There were a total of five school closure days, three of which are addressed by snow make-up days already included in the 2018–19 calendar. The school district met with the Federal Way Education Association leaders to review all options for making up the remaining lost time and have come to an agreement. Here is a list of the five snow days and how they will be made up:
- February 15 was the snow make-up day for the school day lost on February 4.
- June 17 will make up the school day lost on February 5.
- June 18 will make up the school day lost on February 11.
- June 19 will be a make up day for students for the school day lost on February 12. This will be the last day of school and operate on early dismissal times.
- The district is seeking a waiver for student attendance for the school day lost on February 13.
- We are adding staff availability time for Spring Scholar Led Conferences to provide greater support for families. Schools will be sending out an updated availability calendar later this week.
This plan allows us to meet our instructional time requirements and apply for one (1) waiver day for student attendance from the state, using that staff time to provide more availability for Scholar Led Conferences. Making up these days and using the student waiver time to support SLCs will ensure students have access to the learning and instructional time needed to support their academic success.
The graduation celebrations will continue to be held on June 6, 7 or 8, 2019 depending on the school site (visit www.fwps.org/graduation2019 for more information). In order to offer high school seniors the required number of instructional days, we will be offering three (3) “Senior Saturdays”. This provides opportunities for seniors to complete graduation requirements and/or prepare for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or Cambridge exams.
More information about these days will be provided to parents of seniors as soon as these dates are finalized.
We want to thank our families and staff for their understanding of adjustments to the school schedule. We are committed to the academic and social emotional success of your child and making up this instructional time is important for their learning. If you have previously planned commitments for any of the make-up days, please communicate the absences with your school in advance.
To view the 2018-19 school year calendar click here.