Highly Capable Timeline 2018 - 2019
December: 12/6/18 - 1/9/19
- Referral window open for current FWPS scholars, grades K-11
- Referrals accepted from staff, families, scholars, and community members
- Referrals trigger an evaluation process and review of data
- While 2nd graders do not require a referral to trigger the CogAT assessment, the referral information is valuable and used by the committee for qualification. If you feel a scholar will benefit from Highly Capable Services, please submit a referral, regardless of grade level.
January: 1/15/19 - 2/1/19
- HC Department compiles most recent data from district/state assessments (iReady, IRLA, SBA, etc.) for the District Highly Capable Multi-disciplinary Selection Committee (HCMSC)
- Parent permission to test forms distributed and collected for referred scholars
February: 2/1/19 - 3/8/19* Adjusted due to snow days.
- CogAT testing for all referred scholars who have parent permission (grades K-1, 3-11) and all 2nd grade scholars
March: 3/8/19 - 3/29/19
- District HCMSC reviews data for all 2nd grade scholars and all referred scholars
- HCMSC’s determinations communicated to families and schools
April – May:
• 4/22/19: Parent consent for HC services for the 2018-2019 school year due
• 4/25/19: Lists of eligible scholars with consent on file sent to principals
• 4/25/19 - 5/17/19: Building level HC teams meet to determine services/placement of eligible scholars
• 3/29/19 - 4/22/19: Appeal window open
• 4/23/19 - 5/10/19: Appeal data processed; additional assessments administered as needed
• 5/13/19 - 5/17/19: The committee’s final decision will be sent in writing to the person filing the appeal
• If a scholar is determined to be eligible via appeal, a letter and request for consent will be sent to the parent/guardian; consent due to the district office by May 24, 2019.
Highly Capable Referral Form
For immediate assistance, please contact your school.