Levy Renewal 2022
Federal Way Public Schools seeks to renew two expiring levies on the February 8, 2022 ballot — both of which provide critical funding for our district’s scholars and staff.
Together, the Educational Programs and Operations (EP&O) Levy and Tech Levy help our district provide an equitable, high-quality, and supportive educational experience for Federal Way youth to set them on a path for success.
Levies Help Our District Do More
Why Do We Need Levies?
Local levies are critical to school districts as they cover essential education programs and enrichment opportunities that are not funded by the state. Though we were fortunate to receive one-time ESSER funding to help offset the financial impacts of the pandemic, this one-time funding cannot sustain essential programming and staff long-term. The EP&O and Tech Levies fuel our ability to provide scholars with ongoing equitable opportunities.
Video en Español
EP&O Levy Renewal
Since 1980, Federal Way voters have continuously supported and renewed funding of the EP&O Levy.
The EP&O levy is approximately 8% of our overall budget, and funds essential programs and staff beyond what the state provides.
The four year replacement EP&O Levy will continue to provide critical funding for:
Essential School Support Staff:
- Security Officers
- Career and College Specialists
- Curriculum Support Specialists
- Library A/V Techs
- and more
Essential Programs and Services including:
- Athletics and Activities
- Special Education
- English Language Learner (ELL)
- Basic Education
Tech Levy Renewal
Since 2004, Federal Way voters have continuously supported and renewed funding of the Tech Levy.
The six year replacement Tech Levy will ensure support student learning with:
Continued Student Technology Access
- Increase and refresh student devices
- Increase classroom interactive presentation stations
- Integrate WA Educational Technology Standards
- Increase STEM and STEAM Project-Based Learning experiences for all scholars
Teacher Devices and Professional Development
- Provide WA Ed Tech Standard training for personalized learning experiences
- Introduce school-based tech coaching model for co-teaching, integrated lessons, and training
- Increase STEM/STEAM and Project-Based Learning afterschool and summer programs
Infrastructure and Software Maintenance and Upgrades
- Maintain reliable technology infrastructure and supports
- Update fiver and wiring for high-speed internet to out-of-date school sites
- Refresh server equipment and systems
- Complete cyber, network, and data security updates for safe online environments and to protect against internet attacks
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a levy?
Is there financial assistance available for property taxes?
When is the election?
If I don't want to mail in my ballot, where can I drop it off?
Are these new taxes?
What will the EP&O Levy pay for?
If passed, how will the renewal EP&O Levy affect my taxes?
What happens if the renewal EP&O Levy doesn't pass?
What is Local Effort Assistance (LEA)?
What is the proposed EP&O renewal collection by year?
What will the renewal Tech Levy pay for?
What happens if the renewal Tech Levy does not pass?
What is the estimated tax rate of the renewal Tech Levy over six years?
What is the total combined tax collection for school-related taxes?
Will there be an increase in taxes if the levies are approved?
What happens if property values increase?
Who can I speak with for more information about the proposed levies?
Are you Interested in Serving on the Pro or Con Committee?
Federal Way Public Schools is seeking applications from citizens interested in being appointed to a committee to write the for/against statements for the King County Local Voters' Pamphlet related to these two levies. Those interested should send their name, address, phone number, and which position they represent to Ashley Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 3, 2021.