District Headlines & Features
FWHS Office Hours
Monday thru Friday 7 am to 2:30 pm
Main Office Phone: 253-945-5400
Counseling Office 253-945-5407/5408
Attendance Office 253-945-5419
Dear Students and Parents of Federal Way High School:
In this unique time of school closure due to COVID-19, I am thankful for the amazing students, parents, and staff of Federal Way High School. It is important to maintain a growth mindset in this challenging time. Please know students’ success and safety is an absolute priority and students and parents will be updated as more information becomes available.
Here are some strategies for students and parents to maintain learning during this challenging time.
- Check your school e-mail daily Monday through Friday. E-mail your teachers to receive support on your enrichment lessons that were mailed home or to complete past lessons. This will assist in keeping you on-track with your learning,
- Participate in Zoom video-conferencing activities with your teacher and other students,
- Ask your teachers for more information on their class lessons located in Canvas,
- Participate in Federal Way High School’s virtual “Spirit Days” (go to: www.fwps.org/fwhs),
- Watch Federal Way High School’s “FED Talks” (go to: www.fwps.org/fwhs),
- E-mail your school counselor if you would like more support,
- Maintain a daily routine,
- Exercise regularly such as going for a daily walk,
- Read a book at least 30 minutes daily,
- Learn from Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org), TED Talks (www.ted.com/talks), or other qualified education websites,
- Research the admissions requirements for a university, trade school, military, or other post-high school pathways to assist with your short and long-term goal setting and discuss with your family,
- Use video-communication to keep in touch with friends and family,
- Have fun and play a game or watch a movie,
- Provide a routine time with a quiet space for your child to work on classwork,
- Ask your child what he / she is learning and check in on your child’s progress at least once a week. Students should be completing about one assignment weekly for each course,
- Support your child to attend a Zoom video-conferencing activity facilitated by your child’s teachers which will include other students,
- Encourage your child to e-mail his / her teachers to ask for help completing past assignments or new enrichment opportunities,
- E-mail your student’s counselor if you would like further assistance in supporting your child,
- Participate in short and long-term goal setting with your child,
- Set a tone for a love of reading and learning. Your child should be reading at least 30 minutes every day.
Federal Way High School is a great school! I look forward to seeing everyone soon.
Dr. Matt Oberst