Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration
Building the Foundation with Preschool
Federal Way Public Schools offers high-quality preschool programs for children who are three or four years old on or before August 31 of the current school year and live within the Federal Way School District Boundaries. Preschool programs are either tuition-based or free, depending on family income.
If you are interested in enrolling your child in a FWPS preschool program, please complete the Prescreening Application for Preschool. The Early Learning Department will review your application and notify you of available program options and the next steps for enrollment within 3 business days. Household size, family income, IEP status, and other factors can determine your child’s placement.
If your child has an existing IEP or you believe your child may need early intervention or special education services, please reach out to FWPS Child Find, which provides free screening of children ages three to five years old to identify delays or disabilities. Learn more at www.fwps.org/academics/early-learning/early-intervention.
If you want to enroll your child in kindergarten and do not have another student enrolled in FWPS, click here for next steps.
Families can also register in person at the child’s school during regular hours. Please call ahead to make an appointment. To determine which school boundary you reside in, click here to open the school boundary map.
The following documents are recommended at the time of registration:
If you miss the registration period, it’s NOT too late to enroll your child.
For questions, please email Kim Erickson at email@example.com.
- Your child’s birth certificate
- Proof of your address (rental agreement, purchase agreement, or utility bill)
- Your child’s immunization records for measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hepatitis B, and varicella (chickenpox)
- If your child has life threatening conditions such as allergies, asthma, diabetes, and seizure disorders, a meeting will be scheduled with the school nurse to confirm that all medications, medical supplies, and health care provider orders are in place prior to the first day of school
- Two emergency contacts, including addresses and phone numbers
- Physician, dentist, and child care addresses and phone numbers