In an environment of high expectations, high support, and no excuses, the staff of Federal Way Public Schools will continually learn, lead, utilize data, and collaborate to ensure our scholars have a voice, a dream, and a bright future.
To support an environment of equity, regardless of race, socio economics, language, cultural backgrounds and other exceptionalities, the Instructional Technology Department works to support staff and families to ensure that...
- each scholar will graduate with the academic knowledge and 21st century skills ready to succeed as a responsible citizen (The ENDS)
- each scholar will have access to technology tools to support learning and experiences in STEM for All and STEM Choices. (Signature Strategy Goals 3, 4, and 5)
- Create and implement culturally responsive, standards-aligned, real-world relevant STEM/STEAM and project-/problem-based learning opportunities for students to prepare scholars for future careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and
the arts. (Signature Strategy Goals 3, 4, and 5)
Technology Integration and Peer Coaching
- We believe that technology tools integrated meaningfully within standards-aligned learning experiences supports engaged, empowered learners.
- Technology Integration peer coaching stipend teacher positions are an integral part of our district wide team of technology teacher leaders that values visioning and integration of technology in alignment with our FWPS strategic plan goals. Key to the role is facilitating and mentoring staff members in the integration of technology as a tool within learning experiences and provide technology leadership at the school level.
Project Based Learning
FWPS PBL Compelling Why: We believe that FWPS scholars have the talents, experiences, and ideas to change the world. We believe that STEM/STEAM and Project Based Learning will empower them with the skills they need to be successful in college, career, and civic life.
Two models of PBL are present in FWPS that are focused on community outreach and connections in STEM/STEAM:
- The New Tech Network is our main Teaching for Learning PBL model. Currently Naulius K-8 and Woodmont K-8 are our New Tech Network District Designated STEM/STEAM PBL Lighthouse schools.
- Support includes FWPS TFL PBL TEAM on going professional learning in PBL 101, Curriculum Mapping, Backwards Planning, Leadership, and Culture building.
- The Tech Access Foundation and FWPS are in a joint partnership at TAF@Sghalie our 6-12 STEM PBL School.
- Support for the schools PBL is a partnership between FWPS and TAF that includes institutes, PBLWorks integration with a STEM by TAF focus.
STEM and STEAM
STEM Education: An interdisciplinary approach to learning that removes barriers separating the disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and integrates them into real-world, rigorous, and relevant learning experiences for students that prepare them for future careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- STEM learning integrates at least two of the four dimensions in authentic and relevant ways.
- Integration may involve processes or ways of thinking rather than content from these disciplines.
- STEM education in FWPS is standards-aligned and culturally responsive.
STEM Careers: Careers that require the integration of science, technology, engineering, and/or math to solve problems in the world.
- STEM Career Pathways include Engineering, Computer Science/Technology, Health Sciences, Manufacturing & Construction, and Environmental Science.
STEAM Education: In addition to STEM, the "A" in STEAM education means using a meaningful connection to the arts to design a solution to a problem.
- The arts integration should be based on arts standards.