What Is AVID?
- AVID is a college-prep program designed to increase the number of students who enter 4-year colleges and universities.
- AVID began in California 30 years ago to help students realize their dream of being able to go to college. Today AVID is a nationwide program and continues to grow.
- AVID has been especially helpful to students who are the first generation in their family to go to a 4-year college of university.
- AVID students increase academic high school success. As a result, 90% of AVIDgraduates go on to a 4-year college or university.
- AVID students become involved in extra-curricular activities and community activities
- The AVID program began at Sequoyah Middle School in January of 2009. It was only available to 6th grade students. AVID is now available to all students at Sequoyah Middle School
- Sequoyah’s staff has received training and is working hard to implement the AVIDtechniques in the classroom everyday.
- The AVID program is supported by Sequoyah Staff Members and Administration, as well as the Federal Way Public Schools.
- Only students with a staff recommendation can be selected for this very prestigious, beneficial program