Health Services

Health Services Overview

  • The Health Services Department works in collaboration with students, parents, and teachers to help make each scholar a healthier learner.

    Our district employs 22 certificated school nurses who perform a variety of duties including: assessing student health needs, providing inservice trainings for staff and students, conducting health screenings, overseeing maintenance of student health and immunization records, administering medications, providing emergency first aid and CPR to students and staff, and working with the State Health Department in the control of communicable diseases.


    Required Immunizations

    To attend school, scholars must provide medically verified immunization records that show the scholar is compliant with all required immunizations prior to attending. WA State Immunization laws state that the student is in compliance if they are:

    The certificate of immunization status form and the forms for scholars in the process of getting immunizations can be found here.

    Please note: There are new preschool immunization requirements for the 2022-23 school year. Please visit the Immunizations page for details about preschool and other requirements and resources, including a list of free vaccination clinics.

How to contact your child’s school nurse

  • How to contact your child's school nurse

    To locate your child’s school nurse, click here.

    In addition to School Nurses, Health Services has Licensed Health Care Specialists (RNs or LPNs) and Health Services Assistants. Licensed Health Care Specialists are assigned to one or two buildings that have students with ongoing medical needs that require a nurse. Health Services Assistants support the school and the School Nurse by doing such tasks as dispensing medication to students, providing first aid to ill or injured students, and documenting health room activity.

  • Home/Hospital Instruction

    Home/Hospital is a state-funded program that provides one-on-one tutoring for students too ill to attend school for a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of 18 weeks per year. Students about to deliver a baby and students with certain mental health conditions may also be eligible to receive tutoring. Applications are available at every school and at the Health Services office. The forms are completed by the student’s health care provider and submitted to Health Services. Applications are reviewed by the Coordinator of Health Services. If the application is approved, a certificated tutor is then assigned to the student. Approved students are tutored a maximum of 3 hours per week.

    To learn more about this program, click here.

Information and Resources

  • Web Sites to Access Services and More Information:

    Disclaimer: The inclusion of any web site does not imply endorsement by Federal Way Public Schools. Seek the advice of your child’s health care provider before you act or rely upon any information from these resources.