Totem Middle School Profile
Address: 26630 40th Ave S
Kent, WA 98032
Principal: Shana Watkins
Assistant Principal: Amber Samuels
Counselor 6th Grade and A-M 7th Grade: Gil Simmons
Counselor N-Z 7th Grade and 8th Grade: Maria Otero
Year School was Built: 1963
School Mission Statement
Totem’s mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who demonstrate an intercultural understanding and respect for others’ perspectives. We strive to become college-ready, productive members of a global society who are compassionate, life-long learners, who understand other people, and value differences.
Our School Goals
Our school goals align with the district strategic plan:
Goal 2- Whole Child: Thriving, Confident, Responsible Individuals
- 73% of Totem scholars attended school at least ninety percent of the time
- Increased success in creating and sustaining a positive and safe learning environment (73% Tier 1 implementation of school-wide PBIS)
Area of Focus
- Attendance focus to support every Totem scholar to attend school at least 90% of the time
Goal 4- Content-Area Competence: Mastery of All Subjects
- Over half of Totem scholars are at or near grade-level standards in Math (measured by iReady)
- Continuing to support all scholars with rigorous curriculum in math and language arts—with a specific lens on supporting English language learners
Area of Focus
- 80% of Totem scholars will be at or exceed grade-level standards in English Language Arts by 2022. We are focused on providing access to rigorous curriculum and giving every scholar meaningful feedback
Totem’s counselors and our Communities In Schools liaison coordinate directly with our scholars and families to provide support. We are also in the process of starting our very own PTA. We hope this will help get our parents more involved with our school and scholars.
You can find data for all schools on Washington’s Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction’s website including scholar demographics, teacher information, free and reduced lunch rate, school funding and financial resources, and assessment data at reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us.
Also, check out the FWPS Data Dashboard on our website: www.fwps.org and click on the “Data Dashboard” icon at the top of the page.