Educational Programs & Operations Replacement Levy
With the existing Educational Programs & Operations (EP&O) levy set to expire in 2018, the Federal Way Public Schools Board unanimously approved a resolution on November 28, 2017 to continue to fund essential staff and educational programs beyond what state funding offers under basic education.This replacement levy is not a new tax and the community has continuously supported Federal Way Public Schools’ (FWPS) EP&O levy since 1980. The FWPS superintendent and board of directors are committed to reducing the tax burden and as a result, local property owners will see a 37 percent decrease with the proposed EP&O levy. The EP&O replacement levy will be on the February 13, 2018 special election ballot.
Levy Would Reduce Taxes
Key facts about the replacement EP&O levy and reduction in taxes are as follows:
• The four-year replacement EP&O levy results in a significant tax decrease for local property owners beginning in 2019 and beyond.
• This levy reduces taxes by $20 million each year. This means the average homeowner will pay about $570 LESS starting in 2019.
• The tax rate will decrease from an estimated $3.58 to $1.50 per $1,000 of assessed value.
Essential Staff and Programs
The EP&O levy makes up 10 percent of the district’s budget, and funds approximately 300 staff positions beyond what the state provides. The levyhas been continuously approved by voters since 1980. If approved again, the EP&O replacement levy would continue to fund safe, supportive learning environments for all scholars including:• Essential staff like classroom teachers, nurses, security staff, counselors, and bus drivers for approximately 300 staff members.
• Educational programs like special education and English Language Learner services.
• Athletics and after school programs.