Learn about STEM/STEAM Opportunities at FWPS
In Federal Way Public Schools (FWPS), STEM stands for more than just science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Whether your child envisions building the next skyscraper in the Seattle Skyline, or developing the newest virtual reality gaming experience, STEM and STEAM (STEM with an emphasis on the arts), learning that takes place in FWPS will prepare them to explore these possibilities.
We know by the time a scholar is in fifth or sixth grade, many have made a decision about their interest/ability to hold a STEM job. Also, did you know 37 percent of all King County jobs are in the STEM fields? This means we must do everything we can to introduce and encourage our students to see themselves as mathematicians, computer scientists, engineers, machinists, emergency medical technicians and other careers that don’t exist yet.
That’s why FWPS provides multiple STEM opportunities for each scholar from kindergarten through high school graduation. We currently have STEM/STEAM project based learning lighthouse schools at TAF@Saghalie 6-12, Woodmont K–8 and Nautilus K–8 with the goal of creating a STEM Region.
FWPS engages scholars with STEM at all sites including:
- Hour of Code activities: 12,500+ scholars in 2018 participated in “Hour of Code.” More information here: https://studio.code.org/courses.
- High quality curriculum with STEM embedded.
- Goal: Expand computer programing with Sphero robots experiences to all K–12 sites.
Other STEM learning includes:
- STEM Summer Learning Academies are available to elementary, middle and high school scholars.
- STEM tasks integrated into science and math lessons.
- Courses at middle and high school including engineering, digital manufacturing and robotics.
- Ignite, which provides mentors and internships for underrepresented scholars at local companies like Microsoft and Boeing.
- Girls in Engineering Club with professionals as mentors.
- STEM After-School Clubs.
- Computer science curriculum focused on coding and robotics.
Ready to learn more about STEM in FWPS? Join us for the second annual STEM Exploration Night at Todd Beamer High School on March 28, 2018 from 6-8 p.m.! This is an exciting event that helps scholars and families meet industry leaders, gives them an opportunity to engage with representatives from college and career programs, and highlights scholar presentations. Learn more here: www.fwps.org/STEMExpo.
From elementary school exploratory learning opportunities to middle and high school college-preparatory courses, FWPS is paving the STEM path for your child to be successful in college, career and beyond.