The motor team’s principle purpose is to promote the education of students with special needs by providing screening, evaluation, intervention and consultative services.
The Federal Way Public Schools’ Motor Team consists of the following professionals: Occupational Therapists (OT), Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA), Physical Therapist (PT), Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA), Adapted Physical Education Specialist (APE), Physical Education Assistants, and administrative support.
Please call the District office on 253-945-2000 to locate the Motor Team personnel for a particular school.
- Any Motor Team concerns can be brought up by a parent, teacher, coach, etc.
- Each building’s team of involved professisonals will determine the need for a formal referral, using the established processes.
- If the student qualifies, the specific Motor Team member(s) will be notified and they will instigate steps for service.
Special Education Services Available
Special Education – Motor Team
The FWPS offer the following services that involve the Motor Team staff:
- Preschool Assessments
- ESY (Extended School Year – Special Ed summer school)
- APE Aquatic Programs (APE staff)
- Aquatic Therapy (OT/PT staff)
NOTE: The practices of PT and OT in pediatrics overlap. Both evaluate and treat issues related to sensorimotor functional capabilities in the developing child. The disciplines differ in emphases and specific skills. The emphases in P.T. are gross motor and postural control and locomotion. The emphases in O.T. are upper extremity functional activities of daily living and sensorimotor and visual-perception functioning.