Families with a child who will be five-years-old by August 31, 2023, are welcome to enroll their scholar online when Kindergarten registration opens on January 17, 2023.
Online Kindergarten enrollment can be found here: Enrolling in Kindergarten. Contact your child’s school for assistance.
Families can also register in person at the child’s school during regular hours. The following documents are required at the time of registration:
- Your child’s birth certificate
- Proof of your address (rental agreement, purchase agreement, or utility bill)
- Your child’s immunization records for measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hepatitis B, and varicella (chickenpox)
If your child has life threatening conditions such as allergies, asthma, diabetes, and seizure disorders, a meeting will be scheduled with the school nurse to confirm that all medications, medical supplies, and health care provider orders are in place prior to the first day of school.
It is also suggested that parents provide:
- Two emergency contacts, including addresses and phone numbers
- Physician, dentist, and child care addresses and phone numbers
If you miss the registration period, it’s NOT too late to enroll your child. Just go to your neighborhood school during regular school hours.
The start of school is different for kindergarten scholars this year to allow all kindergarten scholars a successful and solid transition to school. With this shift, scholars will have an opportunity to get to know their school building, learn routines and expectations, and build relationships.
Here's what you need to know about The First Six Days of Kindergarten:
- Kindergarten scholars will attend school on a half-day schedule. From Wednesday, August 30 through Thursday, September 7, the kindergarten school day will end 3.5 hours early.
- K-Camp, which previously occurred during summer in August, will happen during the first two (2) days of school. During this time, students will be assigned a temporary classroom and meet all kindergarten teachers.
- Kindergarten scholars meet with their assigned class and regular teacher on the third day of school on Friday, September 1.
- WaKIDS Family Connection Meetings will take place during the afternoons, starting Friday, September 1.
- WaKIDS Family Connection Meeting will take place with your child's final assigned teacher.
- Full-time kindergarten will begin on Friday, September 8.
- If your child rides the bus, this means your child’s bus will arrive at their normal stop approximately 3.5 hours earlier than normal. As an important reminder, parents or guardians must be present to pick up their child from the bus stop when the bus arrives.
To view more information and start and end times of kindergarten for your scholar, click here.
Kindergarten in FWPS will start with six half-days, with the first two half-days being K Camp. This time will provide an opportunity for our new scholars to get to know their school building, learn routines and expectations & build relationships prior to starting school full time.
Parents who wish to enroll their kindergarten-aged student at a school outside of their neighborhood, but within Federal Way, should fill out a Choice Enrollment form during the choice lottery window.
These forms are available at all elementary schools or at the Educational Service Center, Business Services Office, 33330 8th Ave South, Federal Way.
All-day Kindergarten Programs at All Schools
All elementary schools offer all-day kindergarten programs.
Research shows that students who attend kindergarten for a full day consistently make greater academic progress, especially in key areas such as literacy and math, as well as social and emotional growth.
All-day kindergarten students are better prepared to meet the academic demands of future grade levels, and are less likely to eventually need intervention or future additional assistance.
First Day of Kindergarten
The first day of Kindergarten is August 30, 2023, as noted on the 2023-24 school calendar for FWPS.
All kindergarten families will be contacted by their child’s school to schedule a short Family Connection Conference with their child’s teacher during the first week of school, prior to the first full day of kindergarten.
FWPS Early Learning Department
Director of Early Learning
Release of directory information should be filled out and returned to school ONLY if you wish to prohibit or restrict the sharing of some or all of your students’ information as described by the Federal law known as FERPA.