District Headlines & Features
Dear Eagle Families,
May is upon us and spring weather is in full swing! We are also in full swing with Smarter Balance State Testing and then will transition to i-Ready Testing for all scholars. We have placed all the testing dates on our calendar so that you are aware of when your scholar is testing. Teachers will be sending reminders as well. Some recommendations from Collaborative Corner around test taking that you can do to support your scholar with these upcoming tests are:
• Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep and eats a healthy breakfast. It is recommended that children in elementary and middle school should get between 9-12 hours of sleep. Teens should get between 8-10 hours of sleep.
• Offer your child a source of protein and whole grains for a test day breakfast. Yogurt, toast, oatmeal, a cheese stick, or eggs are great options. If your child has a “nervous” stomach, you could offer a smoothie with fruit or child friendly protein powder or a granola bar. Pick food items that are not too high in sugar to limit a possible energy crash during the test.
• Remain positive! Staying calm will help your child to stay calm. Practice a short 5-minute breathing exercise. Utilize positive affirmations, such as: I feel relaxed and confident during tests. I am looking forward to a great score on this test. I am a good student. I am smart and have a good memory. I am always focused during exams.
• Review strategies your child can implement when he/she is testing. Read the passage carefully and re-read the directions and information. Examine each answer before making a choice. Check your work. Cross out answers that you know are wrong.
• Remind your child that testing does not define their skills as an individual.
• Discuss with them that information is being obtained from testing to develop their strengths and support their weaknesses.
• Celebrate the effort your child put forth and congratulate them on doing their best.
Thank you for partnering with us!