Hybrid and Remote Overview
Confirming Your Selection for Hybrid or Remote
On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, parents of FWPS scholars in grades PreK-5, the Employment Transition Program, and secondary scholars in the Functional Core Program received an email notifying them of the change of the return to in-person date to March 8.
After getting feedback, these parents are being provided another opportunity to confirm their final choice for Hybrid or 100% Remote Learning for the remainder of the school year.
Parents and guardians are asked to fully review the 100% remote or hybrid options before confirming their final selection for the remainder of the school year by 11:55 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 19. This needs to be completed for each of their elementary aged child/ren, secondary scholars in the Functional Core Program, and/or Employment Transition Program (ETP).
If we don’t hear back before the deadline, we will use the parent's/guardian's original selection for their child’s placement.
As a reminder, knowing that we are moving from one model (100% remote) to two available models (100% remote and hybrid), some teacher reassignments will be inevitable. While we make every effort to keep teachers and students together, recognizing we must adhere to social distancing guidelines and class size limitations and respond to parents’ choice of the model and staff accommodation requests, we must rebalance classrooms. This means your child’s teacher may change. We recognize changes are not ideal, and we’re doing what we can to maintain continuity as much as possible and school staff will be supporting the transition.
After we collect confirmation from parents on their final selections for hybrid or 100% remote, we will use this data to establish AM/PM in-person learning assignments, class rosters, teacher assignments and bus schedules. We anticipate having this information available by March 1, 2021.
We know there may be some questions as we work towards transitioning to the hybrid model. We’ve developed some Frequently Asked Questions below and more information, including a Family Guide, will be available next week. We're here to support you and your child with this transition.
A: In order to establish a consistent schedule for all elementary scholars, beginning March 8, 2021, all elementary scholars, regardless of remote or hybrid status or grade level, will be returning to the same start and end times as last year (with the exception of the four schools who’ve moved locations due to school construction: Mirror Lake, Star Lake, Wildwood, Lake Grove). Find the bell times here: https://www.fwps.org/Page/8038.
A: Scholars in fully remote learning will continue to attend the AM/PM session they are currently attending. Updated bell times for AM/PM sessions is available on our website: https://www.fwps.org/Page/8038.
A: You might have questions about what the hybrid model looks like and we’re here to support you in making the choice that fits best for you and your child:
- A detailed guide for families will be on our website beginning Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021.
- Parents will be invited to attend an overview of the in-person hybrid model via Zoom scheduled for Thursday, February 18, 2021.
- For grades PreK-5, your school administrator will provide the Zoom meeting information.
- For Employment Transition Program and secondary students receiving Functional Core Program services, the Student Support Services administrator will be hosting a session and will provide the Zoom meeting information to their families.
- In the family guide and during the parent zoom session, an overview of how hybrid will work will be outlined including a step-by-step into the day in the life of a scholar, bell times, required daily health screening information, health and safety measures, and more.
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: Hybrid in-person days will consist of an AM or PM session four days a week, and an alternate AM or PM remote session. Scholars will be pre-assigned to groups, either AM or PM, with the goal of keeping scholars residing in the same household on the same schedule. During the in-person part of the day, learning will be focused on core instruction (English Language Arts and mathematics), and time with specialists will be provided remotely.
- Wednesdays will remain asynchronous learning (100% remote).
- School schedule: You can find the hybrid school schedule here: https://www.fwps.org/Page/8031.
- Bell times: In order to establish a consistent schedule for all elementary scholars, beginning March 8, 2021, all elementary scholars, regardless of remote or hybrid status or grade level, will experience a change in bell times. The updated times are available here: https://www.fwps.org/Page/8038.
- Recess and meals are not provided at the school campus. Recess is part of asynchronous learning. Meals, seven breakfasts and lunches, will continue to be available at our meal pickup locations across the district on Wednesdays.
- Safety is a top priority. Scholars and staff will be required to follow health and safety guidelines, including:
- completing a health screening and attestation each day before arriving at school
- social distancing
- wearing a face covering
- regular hand washing throughout the day