• Maternity/Paternity Leave - Adoption Forms

    A period of disability for birth and recovery, shall be granted to all mothers giving birth. Under the federal law, all FMLA eligible employees are allowed to take at least 12 weeks of job-protected leave in a 12 month period. Under the Washington State's Family Leave Act (FLA), eligible employees are also allowed to take 12 weeks of job-protected leave in a 12 month period following the birth or adoption of a child. The FMLA and FLA run concurrently if you qualify for both, so that means a total of 12 weeks of job-protected but unpaid leave.  If you wish to request additional leave please follow the instructions provided in the parental leave section of the Employee Leave page.  


    You may take parental leave even if you are not eligible for FMLA. If you qualify for FMLA, your parental leave and FMLA will run at the same time. If you have not used up your FMLA entitlement as of the first day of parental leave, then all or part of your parental leave may be designated as covered by the FMLA. Contact your Tara Lofton at tlofton@fwps.org if you have any questions about parental leave.