Scholar Art in the City
Federal Way Public Schools (FWPS) has launched the Scholar Art in the City initiative to showcase the artistic talents of scholars in local businesses and organizations.
The district is partnering with 38 businesses and organizations to feature art and written work created by FWPS elementary, middle, and high school scholars that rotate on a quarterly basis.
Scholar Art in the City aims to showcase the work of FWPS scholars and the rich tradition of arts in the district. A variety of courses in art, choral and instrumental music, and drama are offered in FWPS schools. Arts and Communications is one of Federal Way Public Schools’ five Career Pathways. This pathway includes courses in the visual arts, photography, and video/TV production. Several career options in this pathway include computer animation, graphic design, fashion design, and videography.
FWPS bands and choirs are consistently recognized at various competitions throughout the state and country including middle school all-state band, choir and orchestra competitions. Our high schools have participated in the Valley Region Large Ensemble Band Contest and the Anaheim Heritage Festival of Music earning accomplishments in multiple categories.
“The arts are important because they build life skills by creating a venue for scholars to think about how they might express themselves,” said Dr. Tammy Campbell, FWPS superintendent. “These memorable experiences deepen scholars’ understanding around some of the big ideas and concepts they are being taught in school every day. We are excited to launch this arts initiative with our community partners.”
This initiative aligns with the district’s strategic plan Goal 3, Active Learners: Engaged, Empowered, Critical Thinkers.
Scholar art or writing can be found at the following locations:
- Adelaide Elementary School - Ma Boulangerie
- Brigadoon Elementary School - Communities in Schools of Federal Way
- Camelot Elementary School - Qualstar Credit Union, Federal Way Branch
- Decatur High School - Sub Zero Nitrogen Ice Cream
- Enterprise Elementary School - Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews
- Federal Way High School - Joe's Deli
- Federal Way Public Academy - The Chopped Leaf
- Green Gables Elementary School - Greater Federal Way Chamber of Commerce
- Illahee Middle School - Poverty Bay Cafe & Coffee Company
- Kilo Middle School - Federal Way Performing Arts and Event Center (PAEC)
- Lake Dolloff Elementary School - Cascade Veterinary Hospital
- Lake Grove Elementary School - Asensio Coffee
- Lakeland Elementary School - La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seattle Federal Way
- Lakota Middle School - HomeStreet Bank Federal Way Branch
- Mark Twain Elementary School - Federal Way Library (1st Way S), King County Library System
- Meredith Hill Elementary School - Multi-Service Center
- Mirror Lake Elementary School - Windermere Real Estate - West Campus
- Nautilus K-8 - Federal Way Mirror
- Olympic View Elementary School - Coldwell Banker Danforth Inc.
- Panther Lake Elementary School - Bella Red Salon
- Rainier View Elementary School - Mama Stortini's Restaurant & Bar
- Sacajawea Middle School - Federal Way Barber College
- Sequoyah Middle School - Barnes & Noble
- Sherwood Forest Elementary School - Marlene's Market & Deli
- Silver Lake Elementary School - B&R Espresso Bar
- Star Lake Elementary School - Verrazano's Italian Restaurant
- Sunnycrest Elementary School - CMG Financial
- TAF@Saghalie - Eagle Tire & Automotive
- Todd Beamer High School - Federal Way Public Health Center
- Thomas Jefferson High School - City of Federal Way, City Hall
- Totem Middle School - Columbia Bank
- Truman/Open Doors - Barnes & Noble
- Twin Lakes Elementary School - Twin Lakes Cleaners
- Uptown Square Early Learning Center - Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices and Better Properties Real Estate
- Valhalla Elementary School - Vince's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria
- Wildwood Elementary School - Federal Way 320th Library, King County Library System
- Woodmont Elementary School - Macy's
If you are interested in learning more contact: