Searching for Colleges
The first step in pursuing your post-secondary education is to begin searching for schools that fit your needs and wants.
Know the types of schools before you search:
- 2-year vs. 4-year college:
- Community colleges offer 2-year degrees, also known as an Associate's Degree, and also offer a path to transfer to a 4-year school to earn a Bachelor's Degree.
- Technical/Vocational School vs. Community Colleges
- A technical school provides specialized training for a certain industry and are often under the umbrella of a larger 2-year community college.
- Public vs. Private:
- A public university’s tuition is subsidized by the state government, so it can sometimes be cheaper.
- A private university may have a larger sticker price (base tuition), but often give more scholarships to eligible students
- In-state vs. Out-of-state:
- In-state tuition at public schools is usually cheaper than tuition at out-of-state public schools.