Paying for College

What is Financial Aid?

  • Financial Aid is funding given to assist in covering the many costs associated with accredited 2-year and 4-year colleges, as well as technical and trade schools. Financial aid is available from the federal government, the state government, educational institutions, and private agencies (foundations). To be eligible for federal and state aid, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) OR the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). You will NOT fill out both of these forms. 

    If you are unsure which application you should be filling out, visit to see for which form you are eligible.

    Follow the links below to watch informational videos about financial aid:

    FAFSA Overview

    How to Fill Out the FAFSA

    Types of Federal Student Aid

    WASFA Application Guide

Types of Aid

  • There are four types of financial aid:

    • Loans – money that you have to pay back

    • Grants – money that you do not have to pay back

    • Work-Study – an on or near campus job to help you pay for school

    • Scholarships – free money awarded based on need and merit


What will college cost me?

  • Not sure what you might have to pay to go to college? Click here to use the website to get an idea of what college will cost based on your income bracket.