Federal Way Public Schools is coordinating and working in unison with the North Puget Sound League for a safe return to athletics.
We have some news to share: Aligned with the latest guidelines, the North Puget Sound League (NPSL) has approved the return of limited spectators at home games.
NPSL Season 3 Spectator Policy for boys and girls basketball, boys tennis, and boys wrestling:
The NPSL Approved Spectator Policy for Season 3, HOME Spectators are only allowed at HOME contests, 2 passes per rostered athletes only. At this time Visiting spectators are not permitted at away contests.
- Bowling- No Spectators allowed, live stream will be provided through www.justagamelive.com. This limitation is due to current guidance for bowling centers and the NPSL match procedures (bowlers using the spectator viewing area when not bowling).
- Gymnastics- At this time, no spectators allowed. This is due to the number of participants from multiple schools at one location. There will be a live stream of meets through www.justagamelive.com when possible.
- Girls Wrestling- At this time, 2 family members for Senior(grade 12) wrestlers are allowed at home and away matches, a pass list will be provided by each school. This is due to the number of participants from multiple schools at one location. There will be a live stream of matches through www.justagamelive.com when possible.
Federal Way Public Schools will provide communication if there are changes to the North Puget Sound League Spectator Policy.
We have strict health and safety protocols in place at athletic events for attendees, staff, and scholar-athletes. Failure to comply with safety protocols will result in being asked to leave the event.
FWPS will continue to pay close attention to the COVID-19 rates in the region, and work in partnership with other districts in the NPSL.
For the latest sports schedule, click here.
For the latest FAQs, click here.
Updated Sport and Fitness Guidance
We are committed to keeping you informed around the health and safety measures we have in place for our scholar athletes. To ensure the safest environment, we follow the guidance put forth by the Washington State Department of Health. On Tuesday, July 6, 2021, the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) issued updated Sports and Fitness Guidance:
- Masks are no longer required outdoors; however, unvaccinated individuals should wear face coverings outdoors in crowded public settings, including sporting events, where there is decreased ability to consistently maintain physical distance between non-household members.
- People are not required to wear face coverings while engaged in outdoor training or competition in any type of sport.
- All individuals are required to continue to wear masks, regardless of vaccination status, indoors in K-12 schools, childcare facilities, camps, or other youth settings in areas where children are present or expected to be present.
Federal Way Public Schools will follow the updated DOH guidance and not require masks outdoors for athletic activities. However, masks are still required once you enter indoors for any reason (weight room, gyms, restroom, locker room, training room, etc.); at FWPS masks continue to be required indoors, regardless of vaccination status, when children are present.
In addition to aligning to DOH guidance, this updated mask guidance aligns with our neighboring school districts (Auburn, Kent, Highline, Kent, and Renton) as well. We will keep you updated on any changes from the DOH as they come forward.
Thank you for all that you do for our scholars in keeping them safe.