How Do I Request Public Records?
Washington law requires state and local agencies to make public records available to the public. This law, the Washington State Public Records Act RCW 42.56, supports the public’s right to be informed about what their government is doing.
The Act also lists certain public records that do not have to be disclosed. These exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain.
The Act also requires that the public records requested are “identifiable.” Your Public Records Request must include a reasonable description that would allow a Federal Way Public Schools (FWPS) employee to locate the records. A general question is not a Public Records Request.
Here’s How to Request a Public Record from FWPS:
If you have trouble downloading forms, want a paper copy mailed to you or have more questions please e-mail us: email@example.com or call 253-945-2039.
Please be sure to identify on the form the records or documents you are requesting in enough detail that a FWPS employee can locate them.
Please include your name, mailing address, telephone, and e-mail address on the form in case we have questions about the information you are requesting.
FWPS will calculate any copying costs and notify you of the charge in advance.
Using the Request for Public Records form 133-B
- Download the request form from the FWPS website as a PDF
- E-mail your request for the Public Records form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete the form 133-B: Request for Public Records
After filling out the form (electronically or by hand) you can:
- Return it by e-mail to: email@example.com or,
- Return it by US mail to:
Public Records Coordinator
Federal Way Public Schools
33330 8th Avenue S.
Federal Way, WA 98003 or,
- Return it by FAX to: 253-945-2001 ATTN: Public Records Coordinator or,
- Return in person to: Federal Way Public Schools, ATTN: Public Records Coordinator, at the address above
Be aware of the exemptions to public records disclosure
The Washington State Public Records Act RCW 42.56 states that certain records are exempt from disclosure. These exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain. Some examples are:
- Information about District personnel, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, resumes and employment applications
- Communication between District administrators and the District’s attorneys
- Information covered by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Information that if released would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in (RCW 42.56.210).
Note costs for paper records
FWPS charges the following fees for copying and mailing documents:
- Letter- and legal-sized documents: $0.15/page
- 11″x17″ size documents: $0.50/page
- USB Drive: at cost
- Postage: At cost for mailing requested materials
District Policy Form No. 4040 and 4040P
RCW Chapter 42.56
RCW 5.60.060 (2)
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, 20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, and implementing regulations, 34 CFR Section 99
The Americans with Disabilities Act, 43 U.S.C. Section 1222(c)
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
Public Information Requests
Office of the Superintendent
33330 8th Ave South
Federal Way, WA 98003-5433