Board Director Vacancy Application Process
All candidates interested in applying for the vacant position on the Federal Way Public Schools Board of Education are invited to submit the Application for Position on the Board of Directors to the Office of the Superintendent.
The deadline for applications has been extended through Friday, March 29, at 4:30 p.m. FWPS originally posted the vacancy following its standard timeline; however, no applications were submitted.
For questions, please contact the Office of the Superintendent at 253.945.2013.
How to Apply
Notification of interest
- All candidates interested in applying will complete the application for a position on the Board of Directors, and submit it to the Office of the Superintendent by Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
- Applications can be submitted in person, mailed or emailed.
- Applicants will also provide two short letters of reference by Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
- To qualify, applicants must be a registered voter and live within the director district boundaries. Address verification can be found at https://www.fwps.org/domain/221.
- In person at the FWPS Educational Service Center.
- Mailed to the FWPS Educational Service Center, Office of the Superintendent, 33330 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, WA, 98003.
- Email signed application to email@example.com.
- Dr. Campbell will contact applicants to set up a meeting or phone call to provide a summary of director responsibilities and candidate selection criteria.
- Applicants will also be reminded of the two short letters of reference required.
Submission of additional application requirements
- Applicants will provide two short letters of reference (from someone other than board members or administrators within FWPS) by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 29, 2019.
Additional information for applicants
- Candidate interviews will be held on Tuesday, April 2, 2019, beginning at 5 p.m. at the FWPS Educational Service Center.
- Action on candidate selection will be taken at the special board meeting on Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at the FWPS Educational Service Center.
- Candidate will take their oath of office on Tuesday, April 23, 2019.
- Lead for equity and a passion to serve all student-scholars
- Demonstrated involvement in educational environments
- Ability to work with a diverse, dynamic team operating at the policy level
Candidate Selection Criteria
- Organizational leadership skills
- Successful work in public organizational processes
- Demonstrated commitment to Federal Way Public Schools
- Visionary ability to conceptualize big picture issues
- Steadiness, reliability
- Courage of convictions, ability to withstand public pressure
- Ability to make quality decisions despite controversy
- Ability to represent the whole of the District; no pre-set agenda
- Ability to detach Board issues from personal issues
- Ability to work within a group
- Willingness to allow others to lead
- Trustworthiness in keeping confidential information confidential
- Community respect
- Ability to positively and constructively problem solve
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team