Highly Capable Timeline 2019 - 2020
The Highly Capable identification and communication timeline will be adjusted. More information to come.
December: 12/2/2019 - 1/10/2020
- Referral window open for current FWPS scholars, grades K-11
- Referrals accepted from staff, families, scholars, and community members
- Referrals trigger an evaluation process and review of data
- While 2nd graders do not require a referral to trigger the CogAT assessment, the referral information is valuable and used by the committee for qualification. If you feel a scholar will benefit from Highly Capable Services, please submit a referral, regardless of grade level.
January: 1/13/2020 - 1/31/2020
- HC Department compiles most recent data from district/state assessments (iReady, IRLA, SBA, etc.) for the District Highly Capable Multi-disciplinary Selection Committee (HCMSC)
- Parent permission to test forms distributed and collected for referred scholars
February: 2/3/2020 - 2/28/2020
- CogAT testing for all referred scholars who have parent permission (grades K-1, 3-11) and all 2nd grade scholars
May: 5/4/20 – 5/15/20
- District HCMSC reviews data for all 2nd grade scholars and all referred scholars
- HCMSC’s determinations communicated to families and schools
May 5/18/20 – 5/22/20 Consent Letters sent home.
Eligible/Not Eligible letters sent.
• 6/3/20: Parent consent for HC services for the 2019-2020 school year due
• 6/8/20: Lists of eligible scholars with consent on file sent to principals
• 6/15/20 – 6/19/20: Building level HC teams meet to determine services/placement of eligible scholars
• 5/18/20 – 6/3/20: Appeal window open
• 6/8/20 – 6/12/20: Appeal data processed; additional assessments administered as needed
• 6/15/20 – 6/17/20: The committee’s final decision will be sent in writing to the person filing the appeal
• If a scholar is determined to be eligible via appeal, a letter and request for consent will be sent to the parent/guardian; consent due to district office by June 26, 2020.
FAQ's & HiCap Timeline
For immediate assistance, please contact your school. For district level questions, contact Melissa Spencer, Executive Director Scholar Learning, Academic Programs, and Staff Development; 253-945-2122, email@example.com.