Highly Capable Timeline 2019 - 2020
December: 12/2/2019 - 1/10/2020
- Referral window open for current FWPS scholars, grades K-11
- Referrals accepted from staff, families, scholars, and community members
- Referrals trigger an evaluation process and review of data
- While 2nd graders do not require a referral to trigger the CogAT assessment, the referral information is valuable and used by the committee for qualification. If you feel a scholar will benefit from Highly Capable Services, please submit a referral, regardless of grade level.
January: 1/13/2020 - 1/31/2020
- HC Department compiles most recent data from district/state assessments (iReady, IRLA, SBA, etc.) for the District Highly Capable Multi-disciplinary Selection Committee (HCMSC)
- Parent permission to test forms distributed and collected for referred scholars
February: 2/3/2020 - 2/28/2020
- CogAT testing for all referred scholars who have parent permission (grades K-1, 3-11) and all 2nd grade scholars
March: 3/2/2020 - 3/27/2020
- District HCMSC reviews data for all 2nd grade scholars and all referred scholars
- HCMSC’s determinations communicated to families and schools
April – May: 3/30/2020 - 4/3/20 Consent Letters sent home.
Eligible/Not Eligible letters sent.
• 4/24/2020: Parent consent for HC services for the 2019-2020 school year due
• 4/27/2020: Lists of eligible scholars with consent on file sent to principals
• 4/27/2020 - 5/18/2020: Building level HC teams meet to determine services/placement of eligible scholars
• 3/30/2020 - 4/24/2020: Appeal window open
• 4/27/2020 - 5/15/2020: Appeal data processed; additional assessments administered as needed
• 5/18/2020 - 5/22/2020: The committee’s final decision will be sent in writing to the person filing the appeal
• If a scholar is determined to be eligible via appeal, a letter and request for consent will be sent to the parent/guardian; consent due to the district office by May 29, 2020..
Highly Capable Referral Form for Newly Enrolled Scholars
For immediate assistance, please contact your school. For district level questions, contact Melissa Spencer, Executive Director Scholar Learning, Academic Programs, and Staff Development; 253-945-2122, firstname.lastname@example.org.