February 15, 2017
With the growth in student enrollment, coupled with funding to reduce class size and aging facilities, building space is now a critical issue at many of our schools. Security enhancements, parking and traffic, and meal preparation are also emerging facility needs.
These are among the many issues our Facilities Planning Committee is discussing in anticipation of drafting its recommendation for the 2018 Facilities Modernization/Expansion Bond Package.
At the February 15, 2017 meeting among other topics, committee members reviewed guiding principles, and reaffirmed the goal of having all decisions include these points:
- Advances strategic goals.
- Learner centered.
- Equity of opportunity.
- Personalized environments.
- Provides spaces for community connections.
- Right size for growing communities.
Committee members also participated in three activities to analyze school expansion areas, elementary capacity and K–8 distribution. One option considered is serving more students in K–8 schools recognizing that scholar achievement increases when transitions are minimized between school locations.
Next up: Community engagement through five community forums across the district in April. We want our scholars, staff and community members to attend a community forum to provide input towards our facilities planning efforts! For ease of accessibility, we are offering a community forum in each of our board director’s districts. Schedule as follows:
- Thursday, April 13, Federal Way High School.
- Monday, April 17, Thomas Jefferson High School.
- Thursday, April 20, Decatur High School.
- Wednesday, April 26, Educational Service Center.
- Thursday, April 27, Todd Beamer High School.
All forums are from 5:30–7:00 p.m. We look forward to seeing you there!
Documents from the meeting: