Evaluating Apps from GAFE, Apple Store, or Microsoft Store
How might you decide which apps would work best to meet your students learning needs?
Step 1: Use app evaluation rubric to verify if the app meets the needs identified by learning standards.
- View a sample completeed rubric. PDF Sample --> App-Rubric Sample.pdf
- Access the rubric as a PDF or Excel file to get started. Excel --> App-Rubric.xlsx PDF --> App-Rubric.pdf
- Go to setp 2 if your app met a 3 or 4 on the rubric.
Step 2: To determine if your software needs a full or modified approval, read through and check off the items on the list below that represent your software/app/online resource need:
- Requesting approval that is part of a full course or textbook material adoption process that already includes a review of the technology (connect with the Teaching for Learning Content Facilitator to discuss options)
- CTE current Instructional Materials Committee approved course software needing to be upgraded
- Solely used by the teacher for planning purposes, such as a lesson plan software
- Solely used for a Before or After School program that is not tied to a course or standards-based curriculum
- Solely used as an Assessment tool that has been presented to the Instructional Materials Committee and vetted by Assessment Department and Information Tech Services
- FWPS technology standard software, such as Google Drive, Microsoft Office and Office 365, Adobe, and others listed on Information Technology site that are already approved
- Instructional Technology tools such as Promethean Active Inspire, Smart Notebook and other tools listed in FWPS Teaching for Learning Curriculum Guides
- Mobile device apps or online tools that will be used by teachers or students to create only. Examples include Padlet, Kahoot, Vocaroo, Toontastic, and Explain Everything
- TFL curriculum guide writing team intentionally integrates a software or online resource within a lesson that ties to standard
Step 3: If you did not check any of the descriptors listed in Step 2, you will need to take the App through the Full Software, App, and Online Resource Approval Process. Click here to go to the FUll process page.