Choice Registration Program
2019-20 Choice Lottery
The lottery for available spaces will be held on February 28 at 5:30 p.m. at the Educational Service Center, 33330 8th AVE S, Federal Way, WA 98003.
- Open to resident scholars and permanent district employees.
- Only one Choice Enrollment application will be accepted for each scholar. The application bearing the most current date will be entered into the lottery if multiple Choice Enrollment applications are received for the same scholar.
- Families interested in Cambridge or the International Baccalaureate (IB) must apply separately for these educational programs to the schools which offer them. Acceptance into educational programs does not guarantee placement at the schools where these programs are offered.
- Online applications are electronically date-stamped when successfully submitted. Online applicants will receive an email confirmation when the application was successfully submitted. Paper applications will be available at the schools and ESC. Paper applications must be received at the ESC by February 20th, at 4:30 p.m.
For non-resident scholars (living outside the district boundaries), the post-lottery Choice Enrollment Application window opens August 1st and ends August 31st.
- All post-lottery choice applicants are placed on the requested school’s grade level waitlist in the order the application is received at the Educational Service Center (ESC) by established priority order (District Employee, Sibling, Resident). Waitlist applicants will be notified beginning August 1st through the 10th day of the school year if space becomes available. If space does not become available, families will be notified their applicant will not be accepted into their requested school for the 2018-19 school year due to lack of capacity.
Please note, paper applications will be placed on the waitlist once date-stamped received at the ESC.
Scholars are expected to be enrolled and attending their current or resident area school while waiting for space to become available for choice enrollment at their requested school. If or when space becomes available at the requested school, the scholar's enrollment and records will be transferred to the "choice" school upon the parent signing the acceptance letter and contacting the new school. The office of the "choice" school will notify the parent of their scholar's start date at their school.
How Does Choice Enrollment Work?
Federal Way Public Schools (FWPS) scholars are assigned to a designated school based on their home address. Scholars are guaranteed placement (or a spot) to their designated school. Scholars have the option to apply for placement to a different school through Choice. Assignment to the school of their choice is not guaranteed and is based on space availability.
Resident scholars or those living within our district boundaries and permanent district employees shall have priority over non-resident scholars or those living outside of district boundaries.
To determine which school boundary you reside in, click here: http://www5.kingcounty.gov/FWSD/schoollookup.htm.
Who Can Participate?
In the Lottery
January 3 – February 20, 2019: Resident scholars and children of permanent district employees in grades K-12 may participate by completing a Federal Way Public Schools Choice Enrollment Application indicating their desire to attend a "school of choice". See the "Application Process" section for more detailed information.
June 1 – August 31, 2019: Resident scholars in grades K-12 may participate by completing a Federal Way Public Schools Choice Enrollment Application (form 5116.4) indicating their desire to attend a "school of choice". See the Application section for more detailed information.
August 1 – August 31, 2019: Non-resident scholars may submit a Choice application accompanied by a Choice Request Transfer form from their resident district.
- All applications for "Post-Lottery Choice" are placed at the bottom of the wait lists generated by the lottery process in the order received.
- Scholars with special needs or disabilities have an equal opportunity to participate in all programs and schools.
Educational Service Center
33330 8th Ave South
Federal Way, WA 98003
- One Application: Only one Choice Enrollment Application will be accepted for each scholar. When multiple Choice Enrollment Applications are submitted for the same scholar, the Choice Enrollment Application bearing the most current date and time will be the application entered into record.
- Duration of Acceptance: Resident scholars accepted on Choice enrollment will be accepted for the K-12 Continuum. Non-residents are accepted for the grade span of the “choice” school (except Nautilus 6-8 and Woodmont 6-8), contingent upon receipt of Choice Transfer Request from resident district prior to the beginning of each school year.
- Educational Programs (e.g. Cambridge and International Baccalaureate): Acceptance into educational programs does not guarantee placement at the schools where these programs are offered.
- Choice Enrollment placement may be rescinded by the district due to: Excessive tardiness or absences, increased enrollment at Choice school causing overcrowding in school, grade, or program. Disciplinary record indicates a history of violent or disruptive behavior (non-resident scholars only).
- High School Only: Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) and Federal Way Public Schools (FWPS) athletic eligibility requirements are applicable to all scholar transfers. Approval of Choice Transfer does not guarantee athletic eligibility. Consult with the building athletic director on all WIAA transfer rules.
- Transportation: Parents/guardians with students enrolled in the Choice program are responsible for transportation to a school outside of the resident service area.
Release of Resident Students
Scholars must obtain a Choice Request Transfer (or release form) from their resident district if attending a school outside of their resident district. Residents within the Federal Way Public Schools boundaries may return a completed Choice Request Transfer form to email@example.com for processing. Scholars who reside outside of FWPS district boundaries must obtain a Choice Request Transfer form from their resident district.
- Scholars must be "released" annually by their resident school district.
- Release requests will be accepted for processing beginning January 1 (of the current school year) for the following school year.