Choice Enrollment Program
2018-19 School Year Enrollment Information
What is Choice Enrollment?
The Choice Enrollment process allows for the placement of any scholar at a school which is located outside of their resident service area or district. Federal Way Public Schools recognizes the need for flexibility and increased options for scholars for whom attendance at another school is desirable.
Scholars requesting attendance in a school under Choice Enrollment provisions must apply to be considered on a space-available basis. Resident scholars living within the boundaries of Federal Way Public Schools and non-resident and permanent district employees shall have priority over non-resident scholars.
Please be aware that any scholar accepting a choice placement is giving up their space at their resident school. Returning to the resident school would require the parent to submit a written request to the Choice and Student Release Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Can Participate?
Both resident and non-resident scholars in grades K-12 may participate by completing a Federal Way Public Schools Choice Enrollment Application (form 5116.4) indicating their desire to attend a "school of choice". See the Application section for more detailed information.
Scholars with special needs or disabilities have an equal opportunity to participate in all programs and schools.
Educational Service Center
33330 8th Ave South
Federal Way, WA 98003
- Only one Choice Enrollment Application will be accepted for each scholar. When multiple Choice Enrollment Applications are submitted for the same scholar, the Choice Enrollment Application bearing the most current date and time will be the application entered into record.
- Resident scholars accepted on Choice enrollment will be accepted for the K-12 Continuum and for the grade span of the “choice” school for non-resident students (except Nautilus 6-8 and Woodmont 6-8), contingent upon receipt of Choice Transfer Request from resident district prior to the beginning of each school year.
- Choice Enrollment placement may be rescinded by the district due to: Excessive tardiness or absences Increased enrollment at Choice school causing overcrowding in school, grade, or program. Disciplinary record indicates a history of violent or disruptive behavior (non-resident scholars only).
- High School Only: WIAA and FWPS athletic eligibility requirements are applicable to all scholar transfers. Approval of Choice Transfer does not guarantee athletic eligibility. Consult with the building athletic director on all Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) transfer rules.
Release of Resident Students
A scholar who resides within the boundaries of the Federal Way Public Schools may apply for release to a non-resident district by completing a release form (No. 211) entitled "Choice Request Transfer (ONLY used for transfering out of the district)." This form must be filed with the CHOICE & Student Release Specialist for final authorization of the release.
- Scholars must be "released" annually.
- Release requests will be accepted for processing beginning January 1 (of the current school year) for the following school year.
Release requests will be accepted for processing on an "as needed" basis for the current school year.