Choice Enrollment Program
2018-19 School Year Enrollment Information
The Choice enrollment application window is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
Choice open enrollment applications for the 2018–2019 school year will be available at all schools within the Federal Way Public School District, the Educational Services Center and online from February 1 - February 28, 2018. Applications must be date-stamped received by the Business Services Office at the Educational Services Center by 4:30 p.m., on February 28. Applications received outside the applicable open enrollment timeframe will be denied.
Choice applications received during Choice enrollment are entered into a public lottery held at the Educational Service Center on March 16, 2018 starting at 6 p.m. Only resident scholars are eligible for the lottery. The Educational Services Center is located at 33330 8th Avenue South Federal Way, WA 98003. See the "Application Process" for more information.
Choice Enrollment Lottery (resident scholars only)
The public lottery will be conducted on March 16, 2018 at 6 p.m. at the Educational Service Center (ESC) located at 33330 8th Avenue South in Federal Way.
- Only one Choice Enrollment application will be accepted for each student. The application bearing the most current date will be entered into the lottery if multiple Choice Enrollment applications are received for the same student.
- Families interested in Cambridge or the International Baccalaureate (IB) must apply separately for these educational programs to the schools which offer them. Acceptance into the Cambridge or IB programs does not guarantee Choice enrollment acceptance and vice versa.
- Online applications are electronically date-stamped when successfully submitted. Online applicants will receive an email confirmation when the application was successfully submitted. Paper applications will be available at the schools and ESC. Paper applications must be received at the ESC by February 28th, at 4:30 p.m.
For non-resident students (living outside the district boundaries), the post-lottery Choice Enrollment Application window opens August 1st and ends August 31st.
- All post-lottery choice applicants are placed on the requested school’s grade level waitlist in the order the application is received at the Educational Service Center (ESC) by established priority order (District Employee, Sibling, Resident). Waitlist applicants will be notified beginning August 1st through the 10th day of the school year if space becomes available. If space does not become available, families will be notified their applicant will not be accepted into their requested school for the 2018-19 school year due to lack of capacity.
Please note, paper applications will be placed on the waitlist once date-stamped received at the ESC.
Scholars are expected to be enrolled and attending their current or resident area school while waiting for space to become available for choice enrollment at their requested school. If or when space becomes available at the requested school, the student's enrollment and records will be transferred to the "choice" school upon the parent signing the acceptance letter and contacting the new school. The office of the "choice" school will notify the parent of their scholar's start date at their school.
What is Choice Enrollment?
The Choice Enrollment process allows for the placement of any scholar at a school which is located outside of their resident service area or district. Federal Way Public Schools recognizes the need for flexibility and increased options for scholars for whom attendance at another school is desirable.
Scholars requesting attendance in a school under Choice Enrollment provisions must apply to be considered on a space-available basis. Scholars residing within the boundaries of Federal Way Public Schools shall have priority over non-resident scholars.
Please be aware that any scholar accepting a choice placement is giving up their space at their resident school. Returning to the resident school would require the parent to submit a written request to the Business Office.
Who Can Participate?
Both resident and non-resident scholars in grades K-12 may participate by completing a Federal Way Public Schools Choice Enrollment Application (form 5116.4) indicating their desire to attend a "school of choice". See the Application section for more detailed information.
Scholars with special needs or disabilities have an equal opportunity to participate in all programs and schools.
Educational Service Center
33330 8th Ave South
Federal Way, WA 98003
- Only one Choice Enrollment Application will be accepted for each scholar. When multiple Choice Enrollment Applications are submitted for the same scholar, the Choice Enrollment Application bearing the most current date and time will be the application entered into record.
- A Choice Enrollment School is best chosen for its "education" impact on your scholar.
- Resident scholars accepted on Choice Enrollment will be accepted for the K-12 continuum feeder pattern (except for Choice schools or limited space programs) outlined in Procedure 3131P.
- Non-resident scholars accepted on Choice Enrollment will be accepted for the grade span of the requested school (except for Nautilus and Woodmont grades K-5) contingent upon annual space availability and receipt of a Choice Transfer Request from the scholar’s resident district prior to the start of each school year.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- WIAA and FWPS athletic eligibility requirements are applicable to all scholar transfers.
- Choice Enrollment may be revoked for excessive tardiness/absences or increased enrollment at the “choice” school causing overcrowding in the school, grade, or program.
Release of Resident Students
A scholar who resides within the boundaries of the Federal Way Public Schools may apply for release to a non-resident district by completing a release form (No. 211) entitled "Choice Request Transfer (ONLY used for transfering out of the district)." This form must be filed with the CHOICE & Student Release Specialist for final authorization of the release.
- Scholars must be "released" annually.
- Release requests will be accepted for processing beginning January 1 (of the current school year) for the following school year.
Release requests will be accepted for processing on an "as needed" basis for the current school year.