Choice Enrollment Program
Important Choice Enrollment Changes
The choice enrollment program has recently been revised. Details of the choice enrollment program may be found below and on the Application Process page.
All choice enrollment application windows for the 2017/18 school year are closed. Thank you for your interest in choice enrollment.
What is Choice Enrollment?
Choice Enrollment is a placement at a school which is located outside of a student’s resident service area or district.
Please be aware that any student accepting a choice placement is giving up their space at their resident school. Returning to the resident school would require the parent to submit a written request to the Business Office.
Who Can Participate?
Both resident and non-resident students in grades K-12 may participate by completing a Federal Way Public Schools Choice Enrollment Application (form 5116.4) indicating their desire to attend a "school of choice."
Educational Service Center
33330 8th Ave South
Federal Way, WA 98003
- Only one Choice Enrollment Application will be accepted for each student. When multiple Choice Enrollment Applications are submitted for the same student, the Choice Enrollment Application bearing the most current date and time will be the application entered into record.
- A Choice Enrollment School is best chosen for its "education" impact on your student.
- Resident students accepted on Choice Enrollment will be accepted for the K-12 continuum feeder pattern (except for Choice schools or limited space programs) outlined in Procedure 3131P.
- Non-resident students accepted on Choice Enrollment will be accepted for the grade span of the requested school (except for Nautilus and Woodmont grades K-5) contingent upon annual space availability and receipt of a Choice Transfer Request from the student’s resident district prior to the start of each school year.
- The parent/guardian needs to provide transportation.
- WIAA and FWPS athletic eligibility requirements are applicable to all student transfers.
- Choice Enrollment may be revoked for excessive tardiness/absences or increased enrollment at the “choice” school causing overcrowding in the school, grade, or program.
Release of Resident Students
A student who resides within the boundaries of the Federal Way Public Schools may apply for release to a non-resident district by completing a release form (No. 211) entitled "Choice Request Transfer (ONLY used for transfering out of the district)." This form must be filed with the CHOICE & Student Release Specialist for final authorization of the release.
- Students must be "released" annually.
- Release requests will be accepted for processing beginning January 1 (of the current school year) for the following school year.
Release requests will be accepted for processing on an "as needed" basis for the current school year.