The Mentor & Me Program
Federal Way Public Schools (FWPS) is committed to ensuring student-scholars receive high-quality education and social-emotional supports in order to achieve their dreams. In order to ensure equitable access and opportunities for all of our scholars, FWPS has developed The Mentor & Me Program. This is a school-based mentoring program that engages our scholars, schools, and community as valued partners in ensuring that our mission and core beliefs are actionable.
Mentor & Me Program Outcomes
- Scholars will build relationships with trusted, caring adults.
- Scholars will be supported through a strength-based approach so they know they are valued, have a voice, and matter.
- Mentor will nurture, advocate, support, and share the responsibility to ensure their scholars have multiple opportunities to set goals, review their progress toward meeting those goals, adjust their progress along the way, and celebrate their successes.
- Mentors will bring the best out in their scholars as they help them develop interpersonal skills and continuously affirm the scholars' self-worth and self-identity through meaningful relationships.
- Mentors engage in two-way communication with school and district personnel if scholars have needs beyond what mentors are trained to provide.
Scholars will be matched with a mentor, and they will meet 30 minutes a week throughout the school year. These meetings will take place during the school day and not interrupt instructional time. They will also collaborate in a group session once a month, which will offer an opportunity to connect with other mentors and mentees as a group.
Mentor & Me Orientation Schedule
Please register here for a Mentor & Me Orientation session!
All orientation sessions are held at the Educational Service Center, 33330 8th Ave. S, Federal Way, WA 98003.
Sessions are offered from 5-6 p.m. on the following dates:
- Aug. 29, 2019
- Sept. 12 and 26, 2019
- Oct. 10 and 24, 2019
- Nov. 14 and 28, 2019
- Dec. 12, 2019
- Jan. 9 and 23, 2020
- Feb. 13 and 27, 2020
- March 12 and 26, 2020
- April 9 and 23, 2020
- May 14 and 28, 2020
- June 11 and 25, 2020
Be sure to register to save your spot!