Free and Reduced Eligibility Status

What is Free and Reduced Eligibility Status?

  • For the 2022-23 school year, breakfast and lunch will be provided for all FWPS scholars at no cost, regardless of free and reduced eligibility status. By completing a Family Income Survey, your family may qualify for additional benefits under free or reduced status such as fee waivers, low-cost internet, and scholarships. The family income survey also ensures your child's school qualifies for federal and state funding as determined by parent income levels.

    The best and quickest way to submit your application is Online.

    If you don’t have Internet access or prefer to fill out the paper form, no worries — you can still do that.

    Paper Family Income Surveys are available at FWPS Nutrition Services, 1214 South 332nd St., Federal Way, WA 98003 and at all FWPS school sites. 

    Only complete one Family Income Survey per household.

  • Family Income Survey Click here to complete
  • For Assistance with Family Income Surveys Call 253-945-5554 or email

Free and Reduced Meal FAQs

  • Image of nutritional food

    I completed a Family Income Survey last year. Do I need to fill out a new one?

    Yes. Your child's Family Income Survey is only good for that school year and the first few days of this school year. You should complete a new Family Income Survey unless you have been notified by Nutrition Services that your child is eligible for the new school year. 

    Who should fill out a Family Income Survey?

    Fill out the survey if: 

    • Total household income is the SAME or LESS than the amount on the chart below. 
      • Look at the income chart below. Find your household size. Find your total household income. If members in the household are paid at different times during the month and you are unsure if your household is eligible, fill out a Family Income Survey and we will determine your income eligibility for you.

    What counts as income? Who is considered a member of my household?

    Household is defined as all persons, including parents, children, grandparents, and all people related or unrelated who live in your home and share living expenses. If applying for a household with a foster child, you may include the foster child in the total household size. 

    Household Income is considered the income each household member received before taxes. This includes wages, social security, pension, unemployment, welfare, child support, alimony, and any other cash income. If you include a foster child as part of the household, you must also include the foster child's personal income. Do not report foster payments as income.

    Do my children automatically qualify if they have a case number?

    Yes. Children on TANF or Basic Food may qualify for free status and children receiving some Medicaid benefits may qualify for free or reduced status without the household having to complete a Family Income Survey. These children are identified by using a state data matching process. Please contact us immediately if you feel your children should be automatically qualified and are not.

    If anyone in my household has a case number, will all children qualify for free status?

    Yes. If someone else in the household has a case number, other than a foster child, you must complete an income survey and send it to your child's school. Please contact us immediately if you feel other children in your household should be qualified and are not. 

    Basic Food- Can I qualify for assistance in buying food?

    Basic Food is the state's food stamp program. It helps households make ends meet by providing monthly benefits to buy food. Getting Basic Food is easy! You can apply in person at the local DSHS Community Service Office, by mail, or online. There are other benefits too. You can learn about Basic Food by calling 1-877-501-2233 or by logging on to

    We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?

    Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

    What if I have questions about health coverage?

    To inquire about or apply for health care coverage for children in your family, please visit or you may call Washington Health Plan Finder at 1-855-923-4633.

    What if my child needs special foods?

    If you child needs special foods, please contact our Dietitians at 253-945-5567, 253-945-5557, or

    May I submit a second survey in a single school year?

    Yes. You may submit a survey any time during the school year. If you should have a decrease in household income, an increase in household size, or become unemployed, or receive Basic Food, TANF, FDPIR, you may be eligible for benefits and should fill out an additional Family Income Survey at that time.

2022-23 Income Guidelines - Free

2021-2022 School Year USDA Child Nutrition Program Income Guidelines- Free

2022-23 Income Guidelines - Reduced