Head Start and ECEAP Programs
What is Head Start? What is ECEAP?
Head Start and ECEAP programs provide part day and full day preschool education and support to families. Our purpose is to provide a community of support for children and families in an inclusive program that addresses the individual needs of each child.
Head Start is funded by the federal government, and ECEAP (Early Childhood Education Assistance Program) is funded by Washington state. Services are free for eligible families.
We accept applications throughout the year and maintain a waitlist.
Who is Eligible?
Children three or four years old by August 31, that also meet one of the following criteria:
- Income eligible.
- Currently on TANF or immediate family member is on SSI for Disability.
- Child is in foster care, or not living with a biological parent(s).
- Family meets McKinney-Vento requirements (risk for homelessness).
- Transitioning from Early Head Start.
What Services do Head Start and ECEAP Provide?
Head Start/ECEAP are family focused programs that provide the following services:
- Preschool experience geared to the individual child
- We offer part day, and full day programs.
- The Brigadoon, Star Lake, Sherwood Forest & Uptown Square (one classroom) sites offer a 6.5 hour class, 4-5 days a week.
- Activities which build self-esteem, social skills, and physical skills
- Atmosphere which celebrates diversity.
- Developmental screenings.
- Small classes (18, 19 or 20 children depending on location).
Health and Nutrition
- Nutritious family-style meals.
- Medical, dental, vision and hearing screenings.
- Health and nutrition education for children and families.
- Child development and parenting classes.
- Information and referrals to community agencies.
- Opportunities for personal growth, empowerment and leadership.
- Job training and employment programs.
- Opportunity to join regional policy council to make positive changes in the Head Start and ECEAP programs.
- Home visits to create family goals.
- Parent planned activities to meet school readiness goals
- Help make major program decisions by taking on leadership roles.
- Gain job readiness skills and work experience.
- Volunteer in the classroom.
- Attend parent meetings and classes
- Parent conferences with teachers to set school readiness goals.
By joining the Head Start/ECEAP community, parents meet new people, gain self-confidence, learn about community resource, develop job skills, and help their child get a good start in school.
For further information, or questions:
Head Start Program
Truman Head Start Center
31457 28th Ave. S.
Federal Way WA 98003
If you live outside the school district or are interested in all day Head Start or Early Head Start, call 1-800-664-4549, or go to www.earlylearningwa.org
How do I Enroll My Child?
To determine eligibility for enrolling your child you must:
- Complete the application
- Provide 12 months of income verification (W-2, Tax Return, SSI or TANF)
- If you do not have income verification, please call or visit one of our sites to speak to a Family Support Specialist
Once eligibility is determined:
We enroll children as space allows through April for the current school year. Your eligible child will be enrolled at the location closest to your home that has an opening. If you would like a different location, requests will be taken as space allows. We begin accepting applications for the next school year beginning March 1.
If your child is selected for an open position, you will receive a call to schedule an enrollment appointment. During the enrollment appointment you will:
- Complete enrollment paperwork
- Receive Parent orientation information
- Provide immunization records (immunizations must be up to date in order to attend, except McKinney-Vento eligible)
- Provide insurance, medical and dental information
- Children with life-threatening conditions must complete a health plan prior to attending, except McKinney-Vento eligible
During the summer we have office hours on Tuesday and Wednesdays from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at Truman Head Start, 31457 28th Ave. S., Federal Way 98003. We are closed the week of July 4.
Head Start/ECEAP does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, marital status, sexual orientation including gender identity, national origin, sex, age of parent, or mental/sensory/physical disability.