Insurance & Retirement
All employees who are anticipated to work 630 hours or more, or who during the course of the school year reach 630 hours worked, are eligible for benefits offered through the School Employees Benefits Board (SEBB), administered by the state of Washington. Employees not making a selection within 31 days of becoming eligible (or those not waiving coverage within 31 days of becoming eligible) will be automatically enrolled in a basic employee-only (no dependents) medical/dental/vision package at a cost of $62/month.
A variety of medical plans are available dependent on your county of residence or employment. Supplemental offerings are also provided for life insurance and long-term disability beyond the state-provided coverage.
For more information visit the Health Care Authority/SEBB site for school district employees:
2022 School Employee Enrollment Guide (for 2022 newly-eligible employees)
- Medical premium rates
- Available to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a free and confidential counseling and referral service available to all employees and their families. To make an appointment or ask questions, please contact Health Venture at (253) 572-5552.
- Talkspace is a digital mental health service that connects members to thousands of dedicated providers from a secure, HIPAA-compliant platform. With Talkspace therapy, you can send your therapist text, voice, or video messages - anytime, anywhere, including from the comfort and privacy of your home. Federal Way Public Schools employees and immediate household contacts ages 13+ have access to this service at no cost. This includes unlimited messaging, as well as the option to use two 30-minute live video sessions with your Talkspace therapist each month. To access: click "Get Started" at talkspace.com/FWPS, and enter "FWPS Staff" in the organization name field. Talkspace complies with HIPAA privacy law and your support is completely confidential and secure.
- Available to SEBB benefit-eligible employees
- SmartHealth is a voluntary wellness program included in your SEBB benefits at no cost to you. Eligible SEBB subscribers can qualify for a $125 wellness incentive by completing a well-being assessment along with joining and tracking activities to earn at least 2,000 points.
- Diabetes Prevention Programs are lifestyle-change programs to help reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes. All SEBB medical plans will cover the entire cost of the program.
- Living Tobacco Free helps you to quit using tobacco products. All SEBB medical plans offer programs to live tobacco-free.
Employees have an excellent state retirement plan regulated by the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems.
Optional retirement programs such as a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan and 403b Tax Sheltered Annuities are also offered by the district.
- Washington State Department of Retirement Services (DRS)
- Thinking About Working After Retirement?
- DRS Retirement Outlook
- Carruth Compliance Consulting (FWPS tax-sheltered annuities program)
- DRS Deferred Compensation Unit
Patricia Pama, Retirement
Patty McDugle, Benefits
Laveda Nichols, Absences & Workers Comp
Kelly Wittman, Payroll Manager
Lynette Pearl, Director of Payroll and Benefits