District Headlines & Features
Dear Parents and Guardians of Federal Way High School students,
Welcome back to school! I hope each of you had a summer filled with good times and positive memories. While you were away, Federal Way High School has been continuing to advance. Staff have attended many workshops and professional development opportunities to constantly improve curriculum and instruction. Also, the construction of the new building visibly progresses daily.
As the start of the 2017-18 school year begins, I would like parents, guardians, and students to be aware of and proud of the accomplishments completed last year and to challenge this year’s students to achieve even more.
Federal Way High School had many wins and triumphs last year, some of them were:
- Two ACT 6 full scholarship award recipients;
- Over $5.1 million in scholarships received by our senior students;
- 100% of the AVID senior class was accepted to a university;
- FWHS has been revalidated as a National AVID School of Distinction and National Demonstration School;
- WA State Champions in Track and Field for Discus and Girls’ Wrestling;
- ASB Pacific Islander Club won first place at the Samoan Arts and Academic Competition;
- A National Merit Scholar;
- A Future Business Leaders of America Nationals first place award winner;
- Two Speech and Debate National Qualifiers; and one WA State Speech and Debate Champion in Extemporaneous;
- The Choir Program earned two Gold and a Silver Award from the World Strides Heritage Music Festival; and
- Last year, we started our Pro-Start culinary program, Advanced Manufacturing / Engineering Program, and Coding and Game Design courses.
We want to again thank our families and community for the new Federal Way High School and all of the new opportunities it provides our students.
We are looking forward to a great year. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Federal Way High School is truly a great school!
Dr. Matt Oberst