District Headlines & Features
FWHS Office Hours
Monday thru Friday 7 am to 2:30 pm
Main Office Phone: 253-945-5400
Counseling Office 253-945-5407/5408
Attendance Office 253-945-5419
Dear Students and Parents of Federal Way High School:
In this unprecedented time of school closure due to COVID-19, I am grateful for the amazing students, parents, and staff of Federal Way High School. It is important to maintain a growth mindset in this challenging time. Please know students’ success and safety is an absolute priority and students and parents will be updated as more information becomes available.
Here are some strategies for students to be “your best self” during school closure:
- E-mail and communicate with your teachers via your student e-mail account to receive support on your enrichment lessons that were mailed home. This will assist in keeping you on-track with your learning,
- Maintain a daily routine,
- Exercise regularly such as going for a daily walk,
- Read a book at least 30 minutes daily,
- Learn from Khan Academy (khanacademy.org), TED Talks (www.ted.com/talks), or other qualified education websites,
- Research the admissions requirements for a university, trade school, military, or other post-high school pathways to assist with your short and long-term goal setting and discuss with your family,
- Use video-communication to keep in touch with friends and family,
- Have fun and play a game or watch a movie,
Our students and staff continue to accomplish amazing tasks at Federal Way High School. Some of the recent athletic wins include two WIAA 4A Girls’ Wrestling Champions led by Head Coach Mr. Travis Mango and his coaching staff. The second year in a row for Girls’ Bowling to win the WIAA Academic State Championship with a 3.968 GPA led by Head Coach Ms. Sami Isaacs and her coaching staff. Led by Major J.J. Golemboski and Master Sergeant Will Smith, Air Force JROTC competed in the Northwest Drill and Rifle Conference’s Drill Championships and the following teams finished with very high results: Color Guard Team 1, Unarmed Drill Team, Armed Drill Team, Individual Exhibition Drill and Dual Unarmed Exhibition Drill.
As we get closer to graduation, our seniors have been awarded many scholarships including three ACT Six full scholarship award winners and various university scholarships. Led by DECA Teacher Mr. Marcus James, a student in the area of Sports and Entertainment Marketing qualified for national competition. AVID Site Coordinator Mrs. Karin Weberg and our AVID Teachers led Federal Way High School again to be recognized as an AVID Schoolwide Site of Distinction for the 2019- 20 school year. This is in addition to already being an AVID National Demonstration School. National Schoolwide Sites of Distinction are exemplary models of the AVID College Readiness System that undergo a rigorous validation process and are required to be re-validated every single year to ensure high levels of implementation, with quality and fidelity to AVID strategies school wide. Federal Way High School is now a Cambridge International School Demonstration Center. Led by Cambridge Site Coordinator Mr. Craig Anderson and our Cambridge Teachers, Federal Way High School has met the rigorous requirements to become an international demonstration center. During this school closure, staff will continue their learning by participating in on-line learning modules and professional development opportunities from home to constantly improve their curriculum and instruction. We are so very fortunate to have such dedicated and talented teachers working so hard to support our students’ success!
Federal Way High School is a great school! I look forward to seeing everyone soon.
Dr. Matt Oberst