Ready for Kindergarten!
Getting off to a strong start at Kindergarten helps a child feel good about school, and about himself. Here are some traits and skills that you can help your child develop before he or she gets to Kindergarten:
- Enjoys being read to; can retell a story.
- Speaks in complete sentences.
- Prints first name.
- Knows numbers and quantities to five.
- Names and sorts items by color, shape and size.
- Understands concepts such as more, less, same, above, below, big and small.
- “Settles in” to new groups or situations.
- Can concentrate for five minutes.
- Follows simple directions
- Shows kindness and concern for others.
Give your child fun, no-stress opportunities to practice these skills with you before he gets to Kindergarten. For more activity ideas, go to http://www.fwps.org/cur/piap/ For more information about Kindergarten readiness, please contact your neighborhood school.
- In Federal Way Schools, Kindergarten registration is held each year from May 1 through 15, during the school's scheduled Kindergarten Roundup. If you miss the registration period, it's NOT too late to enroll your child. Just go to the neighborhood school during regular school hours.
- Children must be five years old by August 31 and proof of immunization and a birth certificate are needed at the time of registration.
- Parents who wish to enroll their Kindergarten-aged student at a school outside of the neighborhood, but within Federal Way, should fill out a choice enrollment form during the month of April. These forms are available at all elementary schools or at the Educational Service Center, 33330 8th Ave South, Federal Way. For more information, go to http://www.fwps.org/info/choice/. If you have missed the choice enrollment period, check with the school you wish to enroll your child in to see if they have room at their school.
- At some schools, Kindergarten classes are held in the morning or afternoon. Parents are asked for their preference of morning or afternoon at the time of registration.
- Many Federal Way elementary schools offer a full-day Kindergarten option. More information, a Round- Up schedule and required forms are available at http://www.fwps.org/info/enrollment/