Cambridge Checkpoint Preparatory Academy
at Sacajawea and Lakota Middle Schools
What are the benefits of the Cambridge Checkpoint program?
The Cambridge Checkpoint Program is a challenging academics program offered at Lakota Middle School and Sacajawea Middle School. The benefits of participating in the program include:
- An advanced academic curriculum in math, science, and English for academically talented students
- ‘Spiraling’ curriculum to improve understanding and retention of information
- Cambridge curriculum can be condensed to meet the accelerated needs of individual students
- Enhanced learning environment
- International recognition and ranking
- Foreign language studies at 6th, 7th, and 8th grade
- Preparation for an international, pre-university academic program at the high school level
Q. What is the purpose of the Cambridge Checkpoint program?
A. There are a number of ways in which Cambridge Checkpoint might be of use.
- To prepare students for the demands and expectations of the specialized, advanced academic programs of the Cambridge Preparatory Academy at Federal Way High School, as well as advanced academics classes at other high schools.
- To provide students the opportunity to excel beyond state grade level expectations
Q. Who teaches the Cambridge Checkpoint program?
A. Cambridge Checkpoint classes are taught by Cambridge-trained teachers knowledgeable about the subject matter and curriculum.
Q. Who is eligible for the Cambridge Checkpoint program?
A. The program is available to 6th-, 7th-, and 8th-grade students. Students are selected using specific criteria.
Students who reside outside the Lakota or Sacajawea service areas will be asked to participate in the district’s choice enrollment process, and will be admitted if space permits and other requirements are met. Out of district students may apply too, and may be accepted after qualifying FWPS students are placed.
Transportation is provided to students living in the Sacajawea and Lakota service areas only.
Q. How does the Cambridge Checkpoint program differ from other accelerated programs?
A. Checkpoint focuses on preparing students for Cambridge Checkpoint progression tests at grades 6 and 7, as well as the Cambridge diagnostic test at Grade 8. Cambridge Checkpoint will prepare students for the AS and A level examinations offered at the internationally recognized Cambridge Preparatory Academy at FWHS.
What is the application process?