Student Enrollment & Registration

How to Register Your Child for School

  • Parents should go directly to their neighborhood school to register their child. If you do not know which school that is, you can enter your home address on the school boundaries page or consult our apartment to school list. You may also contact the Transportation Department at (253) 945-5960.

    Most elementary schools are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but this varies at a few of our schools. It’s always wise to call the school before you go and ask what a good time to register your child would be.

    When you enroll your child in Federal Way Schools, you’ll be asked to complete several forms and to bring some additional information. Many forms can be downloaded, printed, and filled out before you go to the school.

Requirements and Recommendations for Registration

  • If your child is new to the district, you'll need to bring the following documents and information:

    1. An original birth certificate for kindergarten students or first-graders enrolling in school for the first time. The following documents may be accepted as substitutes for the original birth certificate:a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, a hospital certificate signed by the attending physician, a baptismal certificate, or passport.The official document is required.
    2. To get an official birth certificate for your child, contact the vital statistic records office in the county where your child was born, or go to
    3. Your child’s immunization records. You’ll need these to complete the Certificate of Immunization Status Form. This form must be completed in person at your school.What immunizations are required?  Read the Vaccines Required for School Attendance, Grades K-12, which provides immunization requirements by grade level. For more health-related information, including free immunization info, view the FWPS Health Services page.
    4. Proof of residency to show you live in the service area for that school. For example, a rental agreement, a utility bill from your current residence, or your driver’s license if it shows your current address.

Enrolling in Kindergarten

  • Kindergarten registration for the 2017-18 school year opened Friday, January 20, 2017. Families with a child who will be five-years-old by Aug. 31, 2017 are welcome to enroll their scholar online, or at school.

    To enroll online, visit:, and click on the “Student Registration” link to start the process (make sure to select the 2017-18 school year). Families can also register in person at the child’s school during regular hours. The following documents are required at the time of registration:

    • Your child’s birth certificate
    • Proof of your address (rental agreement, purchase agreement, or utility bill)
    • Your child’s immunization records for measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hepatitis B, and varicella (chickenpox)

    If your child has life threatening conditions such as allergies, asthma, diabetes, and seizure disorders, a meeting will be scheduled with the school nurse to confirm that all medications, medical supplies, and health care provider orders are in place prior to the first day of school.

    It is also suggested that parents provide:

    • Two emergency contacts, including addresses and phone numbers
    • Physician, dentist, and child care addresses and phone numbers

    If you miss the registration period, it’s NOT too late to enroll your child. Just go to your neighborhood school during regular school hours.

    All schools hold kindergarten "Jumpstart" and "K-Camp" events prior to the start of the school year. Dates for these events can be found here.

Enrollment Forms

  • Forms you may be asked to complete

    Note: Schools often have individualized forms that parents are asked to complete. The list is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all forms from all schools, but it covers the majority of forms required across the district.