skip to content
skip to navigation

Enrollment Procedures

Quick Links

How to Register Your Child

Generally, parents should go directly to their neighborhood school to register their child. If you do not know which school that is, you can enter your home address on the school boundaries page or consult our apartment to school list. You may also contact the Transportation Department at (253) 945-5960. Most elementary schools are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but this varies at a few of our schools. It’s always wise to call the school before you go and ask what a good time to register your child would be. When you enroll your child in Federal Way Schools, you’ll be asked to complete several forms and to bring some additional information. Many forms listed below can be downloaded, printed, and filled out before you go to the school.

If Your Child is New to the District, You’ll Need to Bring the Following:

  1. An original birth certificate for Kindergarten students or first-graders enrolling in school for the first time. The following documents may be accepted as substitutes for the original birth certificate: a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, a hospital certificate signed by the attending physician, a baptismal certificate, or passport.The official document is required. To get an official birth certificate for your child, contact the vital statistic records office in the county where your child was born, or go to
  2. Your child’s immunization records. You’ll need these to complete the Certificate of Immunization Status Form. This form must be completed in person at your school.What immunizations are required?  Read the Vaccines Required for School Attendance, Grades K-12, which provides immunization requirements by grade level. For more health-related information, including free immunization info, view the FWPS Health Services page.
  3. Proof of residency to show you live in the service area for that school. For example, a rental agreement, a utility bill from your current residence, or your driver’s license if it shows your current address.

Forms you will be asked to complete:

  1. Enrollment Form 2015-16: Please make sure that the application is completed on both sides and include the parent signature and date
  2. Student (Discipline) History Information – Number 0203-a: Only when changing schools or districts
  3. Emergency Information Card — Number 201 (Not available for download – must be obtained from the school). Please fill out completely. This will allow the school or district to reach you in emergency situations. The form will become part of your student’s permanent record.
  4. Home Language Survey Form (Available only at the school) This information is required of all students, including students who speak English as a first language. You can get the Home Language Survey Form (in multiple languages) at your child’s school.
  5. Student Health Report – Number 0420 (Español / 한국어 / Русский): Fill out side one and any applicable information on side two.
  6. Release of Directory Information FERPA Number 206 (Yearly) Should be filled out and returned to school ONLY if you wish to prohibit or restrict the sharing of some or all of your students’ information as described by the Federal law known as FERPA.  (Español 한국어 / Русский)
  7. User Agreement & Parent Permission (to use Electronic Information System): Should be completed and returned each year.

Schools often have individualized forms that parents are asked to complete. The above list is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all forms from all schools, but it covers the majority of forms required across the district.

back to top