School News

  • 2016-2017 Rights and Responsiblty Scholar and Family Office of Equity for Scholar and Family Success

     

    September 9, 2016

     

    The purpose of our 2016-2017 Rights and Responsiblty Scholar and Family Handbook is to ensure that all scholars, families, and staff members have critical school and scholars’ rights information.

    You can find versions of the handbook in English, Korean, Russian, and Spanish on our website at http://www.fwps.org/Page/2123 or contact your child’s school to request a hard copy.  Hard copy requests could take up to two weeks to receive. 

     

District Headlines & Features

Facebook Feed

Peachjar Flyers

Upcoming Events

View Calendar

Principal's Message

  • Greeting Star Lake Families,

    Happy December to all of you! This is such a busy time of year, I hope that amidst the shopping and celebrations you also have time to relax with your families. I love this time of year, it begins with thankfulness and ends with giving and renewal. Thank you for giving us the gift of your children each day. I love watching them learn and grow!

    Speaking of learning and growing, I would like to share an update of our School Improvement Plan with you.  In our September newsletter I shared that the two goals our school will be focusing on (from the five in our District Strategic Plan) are

     

    *Goal 2: Whole Child and Goal 4: Content Area Competence

    Here are some highlights from our action plan for  GOAL 2:

    • Analysis of our data from last year showed that we had 21% of our students chronically absent (missing 18 or more school days) and 68% of our families participate in spring student-led conferences.
    • We set our stretch targets to decrease chronically absent students to 15% or less of our total population and increase family participation in SLCs to 100%.
    • Teachers worked together in October sharing ideas, portfolios, scripts, goal setting and plans to help students take the lead during student–led conferences.
    • Teachers sent conference invitations out in English and Spanish and worked with families to schedule conferences. Teachers were also asked by me to make three additional rescheduling connections with families who were unable to attend their scheduled conference.
    • We are excited to report that we had 94% of our families come to SLCs and another 4% participate by phone for a total of 98% SLC participation!!
    • We are using the district attendance protocols and including information about how great attendance positively affects student achievement in our newsletters.
    • We are rewarding our students with perfect attendance each quarter.
    • We are sending out letters and making personal connections with the families of students who are approaching the chronic absence numbers to see what we can do to provide help, support and reward great attendance.
    • Right now we have an average of 94% of our students at school each day and have 11% of our students in the chronic absence category. We will continue our efforts to decrease those absences.

     

    Thank you to you, our families, for your support and partnership in our goals and targets!

    Next month I will share data and progress aligned with goal 4.  I also share this information at our coffee houses, so please join us each month. The dates are in this newsletter or on our website.

    Please give me a call, email or stop by with any suggestions and input you have regarding our goals or your child’s progress here at Star Lake!  I wish your family a fun and restful break!  We look forward to seeing you in January!

     

    Kris Rennie, Principal

     

     

     

CLOSE