Parents of 3rd-5th graders, please come to our Smarter Balanced Assessment information meeting Tuesday, March 22 at 5:00 in the library.
2016-2017 Rights and Responsiblty Scholar and Family Office of Equity for Scholar and Family Success
September 9, 2016
The purpose of our 2016-2017 Rights and Responsiblty Scholar and Family Handbook is to ensure that all scholars, families, and staff members have critical school and scholars’ rights information.
You can find versions of the handbook in English, Korean, Russian, and Spanish on our website at http://www.fwps.org/Page/2123 or contact your child’s school to request a hard copy. Hard copy requests could take up to two weeks to receive.
Greetings Star Lake Families,
Spring state testing for 3rd-5th grade is coming soon. Our students will be taking the Smarter Balanced Assessment. These next-generation assessments are aligned to the Common Core State Standards. Some of the key features of SBA are:
* Online assessments adapted to each student’s ability, giving teachers and parents better information to help students succeed
* Beyond multiple-choice questions to include performance tasks that measure critical thinking with questions that ask students to demonstrate their research, writing, and problem solving skills
* Assessments are untimed and teachers may schedule breaks as needed during testing
* Accommodations for students with disabilities and English Language Learners built into the systems so that the progress of students can be accurately measured
* An online reporting system providing easy-to-understand data on student achievement and growth
If you are interested in checking out the practice test for the SBA to get a feel for the types of questions students will be answering please go to: http://sbac.portal.airast.org/practice-test/
The testing dates for each grade level are included in this newsletter. In order to help your child do their best, please mark the dates on your calendar and make sure your child arrives rested and on time on testing days. You will notice on the calendar that each grade level is schedule for about one week for ELA testing and one week for math testing. This allows for make-up tests and extended time for students who might need it. Most of our students will test from about 8:30-11:30 over three days on each of the two weeks.
Please join me next Tuesday, March 21st at 5:00pm in the library for a Smarter Balanced Assessment parent information session. I will provide an overview of the assessment, provide our testing calendar and show you how you can access the practice assessment from home. Please stay after the meeting and join our PTA meeting at 6:00 that same evening!
Thank you so much for participating in Spring Scholar-Led Conferences. We enjoyed collaborating with our families and sharing our students’ growth and goals. Spring break is right around the corner, April 3-7! I wish your family fun and relaxation!